Thursday, December 20, 2012

Another Boat Yard

On Tuesday we were towed by my cheapest and best investment: Tow Boat US to Cable Marine in Fort Lauderadale. The after cooler started to leak - well, spray, not leak after I broke a bolt the day before leaving for the Bahamas.

The after cooler was removed and taken to the shop for disassemble where the damage was worse then I had expected. The price of a new one $5000.00 so I called my good friends at home and we started a search for a rebuilt or used one. Nothing available so we discussed locktite, liquid metal and other products. No doubt they would work but if the internal o ring failed and the seat for the tubes was not perfect, the raw water could get into the engine and then I would have even bigger problems.
So its been decided to bite the bullet and buy a new one. With the Holidays and businesses shutting down, the part will not arrive until 2013!!!Meanwhile, we are living in a boat yard again at Cable Marine - all the comforts of home, just can't go anywhere. Well, they say it never rains but it pours and I am trying to get the leak in my Dingy fixed so we at least have that transportation. As Jim calls me: "Duck Tape Scott"....duck tape just doesn't work on the dingy ....last resort Locktight 5200. That Dingy will be fixed!!
When all is fixed and after seriouse "Sea Trials", we will make the decision whether to head to the Bahamas or not in the New Year.

Ruth and I are enjoying each others company and have the boat all decorated for Christmas and we are planning a nice dinner on board!



So you want to be a live aboard

3 comments:

  1. well at least you are visiting plenty of boat yards , most people dont visit as many as you!!! sorry I had to turn it positif lol

    better be safe then sorry

    I am sure you will have a great christmas
    make the most of it and have fun

    gino

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a Great Christmas, even if it is in a boatyard.Could be a worse place, like Ottawa today, 40 cemiters of snow..
    All the best in the New Year, sounds like you boat will be almost new, so happy boating.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Christmas eve. You both look happy in your pictures
    even with the trouble with your boat, so enjoy xmas and keep your chin up, you will have your boat in shape in no time. Enjoy the warm weather, wish we had some here. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete