Sunday, February 26, 2012

Esperanza (hope) no more











Left Nassau heading for Norman's Cay, winds 10-15 and sea 2 ft but once again 3ft were the real size but Esperanza handled everything well. Six hours into our voyage 1 mile from the anchorage Esperanza decided it had enough and quite working. I was only in 15 ft of water so put down anchor and began looking for the problem. no propulsion. yes its the transmission the dam transmission failed. I put a panpan and ocean dance responded. But on the way to give me  a tow they went aground 55ft trawler so they did not arrive until after dark. It  was decided to wait until the morning are tow me to Highbourne cay were there is a small marina with e-met access. Esperanza dropped anchor out side the marina and waited 6hours for them to tow us into our marina slip.
I did manage to find a mechanic today and he started to remove the transmission. He thinks it might be the oil pump or pressure plate. what ever it is, it has to come from Nassau by boat they don't even get mail on the cay. So when I hook up my shore power it does not work so I am still running the generator will call the manufacture tomorrow for help and then the wailer pump on my holding pump started leaking so I have sewage leaking into the bulge.Just a endless list of problems I has been a very expanse year and getting worse.
At $100.00 a day marina cost and the transmission rebuild this is going to be very expanse. So please do not  hang up when you see my name come up on your phone.
I hope you are enjoying the cold, because it has got allot colder here in the past two days.

5 comments:

  1. Hey my friend,,, don't get down,, things can only get better. There are many things in life that can be much worse than what you are doing right now. I am sure the cost for the transmission repair should not be all that bad. If it turns out to be more than you expected i would think anchorage for a few extra weeks would help with the finances. No matter where you are i am still planning to visit in April, We should be able to sit down and discuss a few things over a couple of POP's.
    I will bring a few extra dollars with me to help with the expences while i am with you. DON'T get yourself down there has to be better days ahead.

    Loves ya

    Donnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get any info on the Transmission?

    I found a site with a list for parts ect

    www.simplicity-marine.com/velvetdrive-borgwarner.htm

    Don't know if it will help or not?

    Donnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep the faith Garyito - (Spanish for Gary Junior). Btw. Who needs mail? Who needs an engine? Just chill at Norman's Cay for awhile. Do you have a destination in mind or are you just travelling like the Littlest Hobo? lol
    Remember to Chill-ax.....Ahhhh. Deep breaths!
    Share more positive revelations with your readers. We all need some good vibrations from time to time. Don't worry be Happy! Even with your "troubles" we are all so envious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The water looks pretty, trouble or no trouble your doing what you want to do,even with a house, after awhile you have problums, we just had to have a plumber in to fix a sink. Keep your chin up and enjoy the sun. Will chat soon. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Buddy I am not sure what words of comfort I can offer you,simply take things in stride, you may have to peddle yourself out for the extra cash, I hope that you laugh at that. I guess having a big boat cost when your at a marina, tough on the budget. To bad you do not have a second engine, you could go anchor. Again what is up with these break down issues, can you repair the sewage pump?? Keep in touch, did you send an email to Dawn Marie?? Try and have some fun while your there...
    PS: I have to replace my dishwasher($500-800, everyone has maintenance cost, just part of living, your comes with the boat.

    ReplyDelete