Monday, March 26, 2012

Bimini

Arrived In Bimini this morning, It was a long trip. Departed from Big Run at the start of the Bahama Banks they were heading north west and I was going west. I spent 11  hours at the helm and had to stop. Drop ed the anchor dinner and bed was the plan. But weather gods had different plans for me and the wind picked up over night from the southwest with 3-4 ft sea's. So without much sleep, it was rise anchor at sun rise and fight a beam sea to Gun Cay 6 hours away. On arrival I dropped anchor for lunch and an hour rest.Leaving Gun Cay I could see the breaker hitting the rocks but I was on the inside so continued on my journey.
2.6 mile from Alice town was as far as I could get turning the corner I was facing the 5-7 footers on the beam. So I went looking for an anchorage. While looking at the chart plotter I drove the boat aground and was stuck pretty good. High tide not until 10.46pm, so empty the water tanks of my .50cent a gallon water. dropped anchor and waited until 1/2 tide and got her off. Setting anchor a little ways out in 6 ft of water. With winds blowing 20-25k I stayed up watching anchor again. Arriving in Bimini this morning the sun out and a warm day I sleeped all afternoon.
Waiting for a weather window to make the final crossing 44miles to Florida.

5 comments:

  1. i am sure you will be happy to see the good old USA coast. I trust you will not be making that trip any time in the near future??????

    See ya soon

    Donnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, Jim and I were concerned. Hope to see you soon. Let us know when you get to the keys and here.

    Love ya
    Joy and Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Scott

    Had a great sail from Cambridge Cay (following sea) to Highbourne Cay Marina yesterday, Sunday. Sleepless night in the marina due to high winds, noisy waves on the hull. Departed and arrived Nassau today after pounding into large seas and high winds from the north- northwest for 6 hours. Wind Warrior 1 certainly lived up to her name. Will wait like you until Friday for calm winds, then will cross to Eleuthera and the Abacos. Hope your crossing back to the States is uneventful. I hate the thoughts of going back to that rat race the end of April! Just the thoughts of all that noise and pollution gives me a migraine! It is unfortunate that you had so many issues with the boat and didn't get to see the true Bahamas, the beauty and the people. Stay safe and stay healthy!

    Jan and Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well at least your near the USA, a good day and you will be in the inner coastal again. Lots of rest time, and you will fit as a fiddle. I know time is money, but don't rush things. I assume no damage to Esperanza after her grounding??? Probably got rid of some barnacles on the keel.
    Take care, and be safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure will be glad when I hear your at Jimmy's. So glad your playing it safe, keep it that way. I will be happy when I pick you up at the airport and have you safe at home. Please be careful. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete