Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Swan

A friendly "Mute Swan" came over to have a closer look at us, fed him/her some bread and I held a cracker in my fingers and he/she took it, the beek did feel sharp as it closed in on the fingers, but that was it.
A brief history, as follows, taken from our Cruising Guide.
The bird is considered an aggressive invasive species in Chesapeake Bay. The Swan is native to Eurasia, and was introduced to the US.Current population is around 16,000. Adult mute swans can range from 49 to 67 inches in length,measure up to 4 ft in height, and can have a wind span of 79 to 95 inches.Males know as "cobs", average 27 lbs, while the female, known as "pens",can reach up to 19 lbs.Life span of 19 years in the wild and 35 years in captivity. I would suspect that this one is a male



5 comments:

  1. Hi guys....didn't have your blog address until Dan from the club asked me to link your blog to the DYC site. Maureen and I are in Bethel Maine for a week now but when I return home it's time to take out the mast and put the boat in her cradle. Read all your blog comments at one seating and really enjoyed your humor and comments. I will be a frequent visitor to your site to read and enjoy your adventures. Stay safe and have a great trip. \ your bud Jim B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scottie & Lane,

    I know you guys watch the weather so I am sure you are aware of the severe weather heading your way. Batton down the hatches.

    Good pic of the cob, if you rember we had one at DYC for years.

    Mary/Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Wayne: yes I remember, but there
    used to be 2 of them, then only one.
    Torondo watch, high winds/seas/lightning, what else does a boater want!!!!!!!!
    Staying put

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hon (and Lane) - the weather has not been your friend but glad you are playing it safe. You may be on your way by now. Hope so. All fine at home - Chico has an ear infection but will be fine. Miss you and talk soon. love, me

    ReplyDelete
  5. where are you guys? we are at mile marker 50 on the ICW. moving on to Belhaven tomorrow. I made a Lasagna to share with you, we will have to eat it soon!

    ReplyDelete